FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Do you only work with Canadians?
Absolutely not! Salud Recruiting Services proudly subscribes to the WHO Global Code of Practice on the International Recruitment of Health Personnel for ethical practices. We work with any qualified applicants who are eligible to work for our US-based clients.
Are you only looking for nurses?
As a new firm, Salud Recruiting Services has begun its active outreach and recruitment with nurses. Our client hospitals often need other healthcare professionals, so don’t hesitate to contact us if you are interested!
Why the Southwest? What’s it like there?
New Mexico is nicknamed The Land of Enchantment for a reason. Its natural beauty will enchant you! New Mexico has plentiful year-round and seasonal activities like skiing, rock-climbing, hiking, cycling, golfing and fishing. Like many of the United States, New Mexico is experiencing a shortage of healthcare professionals as baby boomers age and rely more on healthcare. We think New Mexican healthcare teams are some of the hardest working and best professionals in the country – what they lack in numbers, they make up for with talent and passion!
Where exactly is New Mexico?
New Mexico is located in the Four Corners region of the United States, an area rich in history to the indigenous peoples of the Americas. New Mexico borders Arizona, Colorado, Texas and Mexico. The terrain ranges from high desert to alpine forests. Thanks to the seasonal flow of the Rio Grande, fertile farmland is also abundant. The state is known internationally for its award-winning Hatch Green Chili Peppers!
What’s the pay like?
You’re actually likely to earn more in New Mexico than you would in Canada for two reasons: first, the US dollar is higher than that of the Canadian dollar, although the exact amount varies; and second, there are many opportunities for working overtime.
What are the professional opportunities and benefits like?
Benefits vary by each facility, but we specifically partner with employers who are interested in developing and advancing the healthcare professionals they hire. All of our clients have professional development opportunities like specialized certifications and higher education in addition to on-the-job mentoring. Some employers even underwrite the cost of all your studies up through a Ph.D.! Many of our employers start employees with four or more weeks of paid time off per year.
What’s the cost of living like?
The cost of living is significantly lower in the Southwest than in Canada – especially compared to some major cities like Toronto or Vancouver.
What’s the cost of housing?
The average cost of a house in Toronto, Canada’s largest city, is over three times the cost of a house in Albuquerque, New Mexico’s largest city. (In July 2018 the average detached Toronto house cost $1,350,700 but the average detached Albuquerque house cost $248,059.) Source: Toronto Life
Renting is also cheaper in New Mexico than in Canada. In 2019, the average rent for a 1-bedroom apartment in Albuquerque is $747 USD/month and $952 USD/month for a 2-bedroom. Source: Rent Jungle In Toronto the average rent for a 1-bedroom is $2,149; for a 2-bedroom it’s $2,620. Source: Toronto Storeys
What’s the transportation like?
Public transportation is not so robust as in Canadian cities like Toronto or Montreal, but it’s a positive work in progress in New Mexico! Albuquerque recently put a lot of money into its public bus system and the fares are super cheap; there are also dedicated bicycle lanes on most streets. Many New Mexicans drive to/from work. If you don’t already have a car, we have several local car dealerships who are excited to help you purchase one new or used. We have even arranged discounts with certain dealers!
Why Salud Recruiting Services?
Check out the many advantages we offer:
- Our fast hiring process – we work closely with our employer clients to ensure the hiring process is as fast as possible!
- As a small but growing company, we’re able to give individual attention to our candidates and clients.
- We have offices in Toronto and Albuquerque so there’s always someone on the ground on either side of the border.
- We are not a staffing agency and we only do direct placement hires; that is, you work directly for the hospital, not for us.
- We offer orientation sessions that are in addition to the orientation you will get with your new employer. Our orientation sessions are to the community itself and are designed to help you make your move and new home successful!
- In addition to our orientation program, we have a long-term “re-recruitment” program – we want you to be happy with your new employer and with your new community. We know what it’s like to move to a different country or location and we want to help you settle in successfully so you can thrive at work!
How we do it:
- By being in frequent contact with you
- By connecting you to local experts who can ease your transition
- By organizing social activities to help you build a local network and have fun!
What’s the difference between direct placement & staffing?
There is an important distinction between direct placement (recruiting) agencies and staffing agencies. Direct placement recruiters are connecting qualified candidates with employers. Once hired, you become an employee of the hospital or clinic, and you enjoy the same benefits as other employees. In contrast, if hired by a staffing agency, you’re an employee of the agency, not the hospital or clinic.
We have the jobs and the place you’ll love!